Kevin Street Library (1904) is single storey structure formed with orange-red brick, with red sandstone and granite features. It has a central pediment on three sides capped with red sandstone (Red Cumbrian) with parapets either side capped with granite. The front elevation has a red sandstone plaque and the west has the Dublin City Crest both of which are formed of red sandstone. Brick pilasters define the three sections of the front façade, a granite string course forms the cills to the large rectangular windows with a red sandstone string course lower down.
This project involved the complete refurbishment and restoration of the existing Kevin Street Library building with the inclusion of a new lift shaft clad in limestone facade panels and access faciliites, as well as underpinning to adjacent walls. New external wall insulation (not the rick brick elevations visible from the road) to the perimeter of the building and significant underground drainage/services works were also required.
The internal refurbishment includes the formation of new opes, new glass balustrades, strengthening works to historic existing timber beams, new internal steel staircases, and new / refurbished timber flooring and wall finishes throughout.
Click here for Dublin City Councils video on the project.
|Client:||City Architects Division, Dublin City Council|
|Value:||€1.1 million ex VAT|
|Architects:||Dublin City Architects Division|
|Quantity Surveyor:||Austin Reddy & Company|
|Structural Engineer:||Casey O'Rourke Associates|
|Service Engineer:||Hayes Higgins Partnership|